My first attempt at liquid latex lekku for my twi’lek monster high doll mod.
My first real attempt I sculpted the whole head piece out of apoxie sculpt but it was too heavy for my liking and I really wanted to be able to move her lekku around. I decided to sculpt only the scalp piece out of apoxie this time and the base of the lekku protruding from the head and sculpted a separate piece for the lek itself.
To help pose it I attached copper jewelry wire coming out where my lek would be using more apoxie. While that was setting I worked on making Latex replicas of the lek by rubbing the sculpted lek with vaseline and coating it in thin layers of liquid latex. I did this twice so I could get two identical lek. When they were finished I filled them with plastic beads used for making beanie babies and attached them to the head with super glue. Last, I sanded down the edges and tried to fix seams with some liquid latex then sealed with MSC and spray painted.
Things I plan to do differently next time:
-Take more time to make sure the model for the lek and the head piece match up perfectly.
-Stuff the lek with mix of cotton and plastic beads for more fullness and less weight.
- Pre mix the liquid latex with latex paint, the spray paint cracks when the lek are moved around too much.
- Will probably attach lek to head with apoxie next time rather than super fast drying super glue.
- Will build out the base more so the lek attach a little further down.